All content on this site, unless otherwise specified, is © Copyright Ian McGowan / Winged Fist Organization. Web Design Conrad Landais
In 1897, the Greater New York Irish Athletic Association was granted a charter by the City of New York. In 1898 they purchased nine acres of land in the Laurel Hill section of Long Island City, Queens, and in 1898 built their state-of-the-art athletic facility, Celtic Park. In 1903, less than a month after its first issue, The Gaelic American newspaper ran a front-page, three-part series devoted to the accomplishments of the Greater New York Irish Athletic Association. (In 1904, the Greater New York Irish Athletic Association changed their name to the Irish-American Athletic Club). Below are images from this series featuring the leadership of the GNYIAA.